Attorneys for Children

Attorneys for Children provide legal services to children in Family Court proceedings and in Supreme Court custody matters. Nearly 500 attorneys in private practice are designated by the New York State Appellate Divisions as members of county panels and are then appointed by Family Court Judges and Supreme Court Justices to represent children on a case-by-case basis.

“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think – Christopher Robin.”A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Our Client Meeting Room

At Copps DiPaola Silverman, PLLC, the Attorneys for Children have a special room dedicated to their Child-Clients. We know that it can be intimidating to meet with a grown-up who you have never met before, so we made sure to make our meeting room as welcoming as possible. Our waiting room for parents and guardians is comfortable and down the hall, and our staff members are always on hand for questions that may arise while the meeting is taking place.

“It never hurts to keep looking for sunshine – Eeyore.” A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Court Contact Information

Albany County Family Court
Phone: (518) 285-8600

Rensselaer County Family Court
Phone: (518) 453-5515

Family Court Calendars

Virtual Court Appearance Help

“The things that make me different are the things that make me – Piglet.”A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

“It’s hard to be brave,” said Piglet, sniffing slightly, “when you’re only a Very Small Animal.”A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Information and Resources for Parents/Guardians of our Child-Clients

Bill of Rights for Children in Custody Cases

Bill of Rights for Children in Foster Care

Child Abuse Prevention Resources

Child Protective Services

Child Support

Children’s Centers in the Courts
Albany County Family Court and Rensselaer County Family Court each have childcare centers available. For more information and to determine availability, please visit

Child Care for Children with Disabilities

Co-Parenting Classes

Co-Parenting Communication Tools

Domestic Violence & Sexual Abuse Forms & Resources
Know Your Rights (Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Crime Victim, Housing, Employee, Public Benefits, Child Protective Services, Voting):

New York State Court Forms

Equinox Albany

YWCA Schenectady

Saratoga Center for the Family

Drug/Alcohol Counselors

Drug & Alcohol Testing

Help Paying for Child Care

Families Facing Deportation and Immigration

Paid Family Leave Works

Resources available to Foster Parents

Translation Services

“You find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.”A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Legal Assistance and Information for Unrepresented Litigants in Family Court

How to Apply for Assigned Counsel: The Office of the Public Defender, the Office of the Alternate Public Defender, and 18B Attorneys are assigned by the Court to represent individuals who qualify financially free of charge in the following areas of Family Court: Custody and Visitation; Child Abuse/Neglect or the Termination of Parental Rights; Adolescent Offenders; Paternity; Child Support; Family Offenses; and Adoption of Children.

When you bring a petition or are the respondent in a petition in any of the above-mentioned areas, you will receive a notice to appear in Court. At your first appearance, the Court will advise you of your right to counsel and ask you if you can afford an attorney. If you tell the Court that you cannot afford an attorney or would like an attorney assigned to represent you, you will be given an application to determine your eligibility for assigned counsel. If you have filed a petition and would like an application for assigned counsel so that you have an opportunity speak with an attorney before your next court appearance, please contact the following to request an application for assigned counsel:

Albany County Family Court
Phone: (518) 285-8600

Rensselaer County Family Court
Phone: (518) 453-5515

Your application will be reviewed by the Court and if you meet the financial eligibility guidelines for assigned counsel, a qualified attorney will be assigned to handle your case.

If you do not qualify for assigned counsel or intend to represent yourself, you can find information at

For limited legal advice, you can contact the Albany County Bar Association’s Family Court Help Center at

You can send us a message using the form below